Whether you’re in love or lust, Valentines is that one anxiety-inducing calendar day each year where your boo expects to be showered with insta-worthy gifts and over-the-top romance, and sometimes your undying love and prowess under the sheets just aren’t good enough. If you’re at a complete loss at what to give them, don’t worry we’ve done the work for you and gathered up a list of what we thought could really make the day sexy. Trust us, we’re love gurus here at LA CANVAS and we’ve got you covered — barely. Peep our list and see what you could get your loved one (or booty call — we won’t judge).
- This pomegranate scented candle will really get the night going with its sensual aroma. Did you know pomegranates represent prosperity… and fertility? Get it here.
- Let’s be honest, what a lot of people expect to do on V-Day is undress and we’ve got the perfect gift for everyone. Whether you’re giving or receiving, this lingerie set will drop jaws. Get it here.
- While you’re waiting to heat things up we found some chocolates that can help sweeten the deal. These suckas will have you wanting more. Get them here.
- If you’re looking for something to last longer than one day, try this Baraca Spa Weekend deal in Santa Barbara. They’re so down with the times that they embroider your Twitter handle on your bathrobes. – Find out more here.
- If you’re into smelling good or want your man to, then we suggest Gucci Guilty Black. This scent will have everybody swooning. For the females, we’ve chosen Dolce and Gabbana Desire The One. This delicate scent won’t overpower you and leave everyone with an infatuation. Find Gucci here and D&G here, or your local department store.
- We know that sometimes your significant other can lose track of time so a watch is a perfect gift. This tortoise watch is unisex and chic. Find this Poketo watch here.
- If you’re into DIY and homemade things, there’s a great little etsy shop by illustrator Kate Berube that makes the cutest (read: cheesy) Valentine’s Day cards. Find her shop here.
- Along with that handmade card why not go the EXTRA mile and cook for your bae. We’ve got a recipe book that’ll have your bae instagramming for hours. Find it here.
- Long gone are the days of holding a boombox over your head or serenading at your boo’s window to profess your love. Opening Ceremony carries the Playbutton mp3 player that’s already loaded with love songs that you can pin to your coat! Get it here.
10. If you’re into putting on a show or just a peeper, how about some burlesque classes to really get the party started. BurlesqueAcademy.com
We’ve also got five gifts for all the single people out there. Celebrate single-dom by gifting your fellow Hallmark-hating homies with these goods sure to put a smile on their face.
- Why not be a pal and give your single friends a practical gift. These Made With Love Sandwich Bags by Accoutrements will make your gal the queen of the cubicle block on Monday morning. Find them here.
- If you’re friend is more of a stay at home and re-watch “Love Actually” for the 100th time kind of person, why not send them a heart shaped pizza from Papa John’s. But make sure they save you some leftovers.
- Ok, so we know your single friends might be a little down around this time of year so we suggest giving them a laugh. This book will have them dying. – Rob Delaney’s Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage. Get it here.
- If you’re friend is an interior design snob and has a house that resemble a Pinterest page, these quartz crystal wines stoppers are perfect! Find them here.
- If you happen to have multiple single friends and want to get them each something, we’ve found the clever matchbooks that light up their night, er cigarettes. You can find them here.
The holidays give some the warm fuzzies, and others perennial anxiety– at least for the latter group, the goddess (and Mr. Gore) gave us online shopping. So before you adjust the backlight on your screen in the name of commercial nostalgia, why not take a peek at our CliffsNotes?
THE PRETENTIOUS MUSICIAN
1. Around the World in 80 Raves: A Guide to Best Parties & Festivals on the Planet
PRICE: $14.95 (via Urban Outfitters)
For those veteran EDC attendees, maybe it’s time they take their raver experience to new horizons. Place this book into the hands of the right kandi-toting, shufflin’ EDM-aficionado straight out of UC Irvine, and you will never see them ever again.
2. Amoeba gift cards
PRICE: Depends… how much does this person actually deserve?
Normally we’d point you to gift cards only if it’s the last absolute last resort, but truthfully, any pretentious musician will go ga-ga over some records from Amoeba. So throw a bone, or a vinyl or two, to your favorite crate-digger.
3. LSTN headphones
PRICE: Troubadours – $150 | Fillmores – $100 | Bowerys – $50
No matter your giftee’s degree of pretension, LSTN headphones has you covered. Whether they like over-ears or earbuds, all LSTN headphones are eco-friendly, handcrafted from reclaimed wood and sound fantastic.
PRICE: $6.99 – pack of 5 — $240 – 250 customized tapes
For all the lovers and hopeless romantics out there. Sharetapes give you the cuteness of a mixtape, but the practicality of credit-card size. This holiday season tell that special someone how you feel with a customizable playlist on the go.
5. Marshall Stanmore Speaker
Do you have a friend who wishes they had a reason to impress people by an array of amps, but are not blessed with the ability to actually play an instrument? Well, this is the gift for them. When they don’t have their intricately thought out playlist blasting from the speaker, it will double as an amp look-a-like to impress the masses – or that cute neighbor upstairs.
FOR THE ONE WHO IS ALWAYS DRUNK (OR YOURSELF)
1. Whiskey Cube Set
PRICE: $24.95 (via Urban Outfitters)
Watered down whiskey is for pansies. With this stone cube set you can now wean out those folk who have not established the taste for liquor. They can go back to their sugary drinks, while you look refined drinking in your study with this set – I mean, while the gift receiver looks great and dignified with these in their drink.
2. Assouline: Vintage Cocktails Book
PRICE: $50 (via The Bazaar at SLS Hotel)
Nights in with friends are going to be more entertaining, and more prone to blackouts with this book at hand…you’re welcome.
3. Domaine LA
Wine is a pretty fun gift to give. Why? Because it can be shared. So head to Domaine LA for their superb selection in small-time, family-run wine producers from Europe and the United States. And who knows, maybe owner Jill Bernheimer will let you sample two or three. Or four. We’re aiming for four.
4. Beer Making Kit
So, giving this gift can either have rewarding results or end in disaster. Fortunately, the Brooklyn Brew Shop makes home-brewing easy with their kits, and provides a wide variety of hoppy-goodness to fit your giftee’s (or your own) beer preference.
1. Altru Apparel Glyph Button-Up
Are you finally sick of your male counterparts wearing boring button-ups (or grungy plaid) and thinking they look cool, or “ironic”? Altru Apparel gives the guy a classic, lightweight fit with an eye-catching print. Now it is safe to be seen in public with them.
2. See You Monday Leggings
PRICE: $7.95 – $23 (via KarmaLoop)
For the friend/sister/mom with some sass. These leggings add a pop to whatever your giftee decides to throw on – even that oversized t-shirt they rolled out of bed in.
3. Globe Mahalo (Navy/Plaid)
While you may not have worn Globe sneakers since 2005, when the puffy skate shoes were all the rage, you have been missing out. They are partaking in the minimalistic, clean look and are doing it really well. Pre-order the Mahalo’s and put their other sneakers to shame.
4. Paisley Sockwear
Grown man shoes need grown man socks … but you can’t go wrong with a little whimsicality either.
5. TOPMAN x SIBLING/TOPMAN Black Leather Biker Jacket
PRICE: $160 // $300
Give yourself a reason to have a “Cool Christmas Sweater Party” rather than the overrated and overdone “Ugly Christmas Sweater Party.”
6. Aark Watches
PRICE: $140 – $380 (can be found at Poketo)
Minimalistic but not mundane. Aark gives you an array of colors and design to fit just about every mood, outfit, and time of day. This unisex watch is totes next level – and très chic.
GOT ME FEELIN’ SOME TYPE OF WAY…GIFTS
2. Love Nail Tree Jewelry
LNT gives you old school romance with their collection of jewelry. Ranging from simple shapes to intricate clock necklaces (not like Flavor Flav, tho). So whoever you give this gift to will feel stylish and special.
3. Royal Apothic Conservatory Collection eau de parfum
Not sure how you feel, but we think nothing is better than someone who smells like a million bucks – or in this case, royalty.
4. Hopeless Lingerie (Everything)
PRICE: $35 -$280
We are not really sure where we should begin on tempting you to buy your partner AT LEAST one thing from this website, because we want you to buy everything – and send us a care package too. The Aussie designer knows how to mix minimal coverage with class, and knows the quality of handmade products. Order quick though, we are sure Santa sent over a long list of orders already.
5. Radeo’s Pretty Glam Special Underwear
PRICE: $13 – $55
Your favorite Suicide Girl now adds designer to her resume. – a designer of panties, of course. While Radeo herself is not only sexy, but a true nerd at heart, her underwear come in galaxy print, a cute robot friend , and well, herself.
6. Diptyque Smoothing Body Polish
PRICE: $68 (@ Nordstrom)
Diptyque is more than just candles. This smoothing body polish will make anyone more soft to the touch, and make bath-time that much more luxurious.
YOU’RE SO VAIN, YOU KNOW THIS GIFT IS FOR YOU
1. Imperial Barber Pomades
PRICE: $20 – $24 (@ No. A Boutique)
With barbershops becoming a culture of their own, we know you know someone with a fly haircut. These pomades will keep their hair in place with a variety of holds. They probably still won’t let you touch their hair, but you are one step closer because without you and your gift, they would be a mess.
2. Season’s Tweetings – Lush Gift set
This gift set is the one that will cause you to have a constant battle with yourself – deciding on whether you really should give it away or just keep it. Stuffed with Lush goodies like Rose Jam shower gel, celestial moisturizer and Noriko soap, it’s going to be hard to talk yourself out of thinking your sister deserves this more than you do.
3. Lime Crime Velvetines
The best wingman — and wingwoman — are the ones that take care of you. So to keep your matchmaker streak going, you help set up your best friend for some Christmas lovin’, so you do three things: invite all your single friends over, set up the apartment with mistletoe galore and slap some Lime Crime Velvetine on her — she’s not going to keep those lips on for that much longer.
4. Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray
Once again, Oribe makes our lists. We cannot get enough of the brand and we are sure your giftee will spend more time in the mirror than they already do with any Oribe product, but our current fave is the Light Reflecting Spray. With the gloomy weather finally heading our way, who doesn’t want to shine bright?
5. Belmondo Face Kit
Of course, in this year’s Secret Santa drawing, you got your brother’s buddy that somewhat resembles an LA-version of The Situation. Which is true, because of course, his tanning lotion is made of natural, olive-oil based products like Belmondo’s.
THE LA “TRAVELER”
1. Fuji Instax Mini
Pint-sized and definitely not your grandma’s Polaroid camera; perfect for the vintage-photo junkie because it’s like Instagram but for real-life.
2. ChargeCard : Slim USB Cable
After giving your friend this gift, their typical wallet check-list before a night out will turn into something like this: driver’s license, cash, credit card, condoms, gum, phone charger — okay, good to go.
3. Signal Snowboards
PRICE: $390 – $900
Winter is coming and the mountains will begin to be fueled by eager athletic individuals waiting to shred through that snow. And like the first day of school, you need to look good your first day on the mountain. Whether you are a beginner, or an expert, Signal has what you need
4. Humble Bundle Travel Coffee Gift Set
There’s just something about big cities and coffee. Even in 80-degree Novembers, Angelenos still require coffee for functioning, and this Humble Bundle just makes that addiction so much easier.
5. Shinola The Women’s Bixby
With the traffic being horrible all day, every day, what better gift to give your little LA wanderlust than a perfectly pink bicycle? Just watch out for busses.
THE NEXT MASTER CHEF JR.
1. Milk Bottle Measuring Cup
Since Pyrex is too hood now, and the milk man no longer travels door-to-door, using a take on the old school milk bottles as measuring cups has got to be the way to go. And plus, it’s just cuter than your standard.
2. Reclaimed wood boards
Bring a little nature into your friend’s downtown loft because there is such a thing as too much metropolis.
3. Molecular Gastronomy Starter Kit
Psh. If 13-year-old Alexander Weiss can do it, how hard can it be? Isn’t the saying, “if you can read, you can cook?” …….. right?
4. Ladurèe Sucre Cookbook
Give your friend some Ladurèe macarons, and they’ll eat for a night. Teach them how to make Ladurèe macarons, and you can have some too.
JUST BECAUSE IT’S AWESOME
Crooks & Castles X Monopoly Board Game Collectors Edition
Board game nights just got more street. If your homies can’t knock the hustle, then maybe you guys need to handle shit on the board at Mayfair and Park Lane.