So we all know I love a good trompe l’oeil and simple projects, so here’s another fast recipe ready for you to tailor to your tastes. If you’re new to spaghetti squash, or if you’ve been oven roasting it for years, gather up your favorite pasta fixings and head to the microwave. Here’s how to cook that squash in the same time it would take to nuke a frozen dinner, but way healthier.
-salt + pepper
-garlic, onions, cheese, olive oil, etc (or your mix-ins/toppings of choice—go for pasta sauce if you’re a spaghetti purist.)
1. If you’re going to use a sauce or mix-ins that require real cooking (like garlic and onions), get those started now.
2. Rinse off that squash. Using a fork, pierce the squash several times all over. This will let it steam while it’s in the microwave.
3. Put it in the microwave and nuke it for about 2 minutes at a time, rotating between each interval to evenly cook. Do this until the squash is soft and a fork easily pierces the skin. This could take 5-10 minutes depending on your microwave.
4. When cooked, cut in half, remove seeds, and use a fork to scrape all the spaghetti like strands of squash out into your bowl (or back into the squash halves if you want to be cute).
5. Add your sauce/toppings. Enjoy!